Thursday, June 11, 2009

I don't know...

I really don't know......

Those four words aren't probably the best way to start off an essay (let alone a blog), but regardless, those four words hold a lot of significance to what I'm about to say. 

For about the entirety of my 20-year residence on the planet earth, I can honestly say that I have never made a concrete decision on my own terms. Yes, I have made decisions, but they always have been under some sort of pretense. There was always an ultimatum or consequence involved, hence forcing me into a position that would utterly get a final decision out of me. But, in my perspective, I have never made a decision that I wanted to make. Unfortunately, I heavily rely on my peers' opinions on everyday decisions, and yes, I view this as a character flaw on my part. 

Tonight, though, that will hopefully change (somewhat).

As I mentioned earlier, my lack of decision making skills is a character flaw that I possess, but it's only one out of several character flaws that exist within every fiber of my being. Another major character flaw I possess is clumsiness.

Oh, clumsiness....

From the very beginning of time, God blessed me with the inability of all three stooges put together. I try to control it, for me it's like a disease that renders me unfavorable to the rest of the world. I view it like a big, juicy, red, fat pimple that can be never popped.

In other words...I hate my clumsiness....more so than my inability to make decisions...

By now, many of you have probably tuned out, some of you are probably still reading for some reason (I don't know why, but you are). Well, if you fall in the latter category, then here's some examples of what you might be thinking to yourself:

"What the fuck is Carlo trying to say, did he start with the edibles again???"

"Just skip the bullshit, and start complaining about ('insert girl name here')."

"This is probably one, giant penis joke."

Unfortunately, none of that have nothing to do with the point I may or may not make. See, clumsiness, no matter how much I hate it, still plays an important part in this story....

....In the sense that Jar Jar Binks was clumsy. 

See, I hate Jar Jar Binks because he's so clumsy and inept, and his character is so clumsily written, and I'm a clumsy writer too because I'm so clumsy in general, and I hate the fact that I'm clumsy myself, and it's because of this that I hate 'The Phantom Menace" because it's so clumsily made.

Or do I really...That is the question, isn't it? Do I hate "The Phantom Menace" or not? It's sort of been a question I've pondered for a long time. And it's that very question that is the driving force of this blog.

And it's my current stance on 'The Phantom Menace" that perfectly exemplifies my inability to make decisions.

To solve this conundrum, I think we may have to go way back to the beginning:

December 1998: I saw this trailer when I just turned ten, and I think I peed my pants three times over:

Flash forward to May 1999:

"The Phantom Menace" opens, and I have no fucking idea on how to use the internet.

This is a good thing. It's this inability to use the net that barrs me from checking out websites like "Aint it Cool News," thus enabling to watch the movie free of sin. The hype though, I was as hyped as any of the thirty-something year-old dickwads who treated the Original Trilogy as it was the word of the Holy Spirit himself.

These were the guys who were willing to spit at the movie if the movie itself gravely affected the very sanctity of continuity (which it did, thus the spitting.)

Me, on the other hand, all I wanted was a theatrical experience that was as magical as when I first saw the 97' edition of Episode IV on the big screen.

And, even as a young, witless, 10-year old child, I knew that when I first saw "Menace," it just wasn't the same. You could say that I felt very indifferent towards the movie, but for a while, I hid my indifference. I pretended to like the movie, so much to the point I was convinced that I actually did like it.

Until the aftermath of "Attack of the Clones."

A year after that CGI shit sandwich of a movie, my vehement diatribes against the still-incomplete prequel trilogy started. I would go on Star Wars forums and join my brethren; we would spread our hatred for all thing that were Ep. I and Ep. II. Ironically though, these were the same forums I used to check on Ep. III spoilers, but no one but the few friends I had in actual reality knew.

Then when "Revenge of the Sith" came out, I tried to change my overview on "Menace." Being the gutless fanboy I am, I bought both prequels on DVD to satisfy my urges. I haven't seen "Menace" all the way through since the year 2000, and it was 2005 at that point. 5 years without any "meesa bantha poo doo" nonsense. 

In that 5 year interval, I had seen so many movies that I had the ability to recognize a film not solely for its strength or its fault, but both. Sure I still had my biases, but I promised myself that the next time I saw "Menace," I would recognize both its strengths and faults.

I tried, I really did...

Fucking Jar-Jar......I couldn't oversee this....this monstrosity of a fictitious character.

I appreciated the pod racing scene a little more, the lightsaber duel is one of the best in the series, and Darth Maul is the epitome of bad-ass, but still....fucking Jar-Jar (and on a smaller note, Jake Lloyd's acting) deterred this potential masterpiece into one big fucking wasted opportunity.

It wasn't till yesterday that I realized, why does this single, unnecessary character effect the entire movie for me and the rest of the geek collective?

And it wasn't till earlier today I realized why this is. I know that there is a small collective of people who somewhat like this movie. That's fine, and I don't think what I'm about to say really applies to them (Those of you part of that collective can still read on if you want to, just saying.)

Many geeks like myself hate Episode I and the character of Jar-Jar so much because Jar-Jar isn't a parody of the comedic sidekick like Lucas wants us to believe....

Jar-Jar is a parody of me.

Jar-Jar is a parody of Harry Knowles

Jar-Jar is a parody of even Bill Gates to some extent.

Jar-Jar is a parody of us geeks....maybe not intentionally, but I strongly believe that many geeks do think that. He is the computer-generated realization of  archetypical geeky character flaws (bumbling, oblivious, cowardly, clumsy), and although the character is shown in a positive light, I'm sure geeks were offended that this character who is supposed to be a celebration of all things geeky is merely reduced to a second rate character. 

If you even want to go further, the plight of Jar-Jar pretty much represents the plight of this entire movie. The movie was supposed to be a celebration of why this saga was the best, but in the end it fell apart due to second-rate direction.

This is why I hate Jar-Jar.

This is why I can never fully enjoy "The Phantom Menace."

At least till they release all six movies on Blu-Ray.

And this is why I'm deciding that I can never make a decision

1 comment:

Cory Vaile said...

I didn't read any of this, but still felt like leaving a comment.